This is one of my favorite Christmas decorations. When we first moved to Mesa, Arizona, I really missed the "feeling" of Christmas that I had known all of my life. The blistering cold weather, the white snow storms, icy roads, snow days, warm winter clothing and especially the smell of a wood burning stove. I quickly learned that I wouldn't be needing all the extra layering. I put my warm coats in the very back of my closet where they practically remained the next 7 years. On a cold day, a thin sweater would do and rarely would you need a coat in addition to that. I think the thing that I missed the most during those years was the change in the weather that always brought that feeling of Christmas to my soul.
That first Christmas spent in Arizona, I came across this poem which inspired me to make this darling bottled up snowman. He is so cute! :)
Here is the poem entitled
"Christmas in Arizona"
The visitor sadly shook his head
As he basked in the tropical sun;
Call this Christmas? to us he said
Well, not where I come from.
Christmas needs snow and ice and cold,
And the sound of the sleigh bells ring;
And so for me, I can't be sold
On this winter that feels like spring.
We looked at him and then we smiled
As he scoffed aloud at our plights;
'Cause he was so far from right.
For no snow fell on Bethlehem
On the night the star first shone,
There was no blizzard nor howling gale,
That swept with a shriek and a moan.
The breeze was soft, and what is more,
The night the Christ Child came
Hibiscus bloomed near the stable door.
As Mary murmured His name.
Bougainvillea of violet hue
Arched in a graceful bower;
Poinsettias, wet with midnight dew,
Enhanced that sacred hour.
The heavenly Host in the starry sky,
Proclaimed the birth of the King;
And the rustling palms echoed the cry,
As the whole Earth seemed to sing.
So we find here, in our sun-drenched land,
Untouched by the ice and snow,
That the Spirit of Christmas is near at hand
And we feel God willed it so.
Grateful for the many Christmas' spent in Arizona and who knows maybe many more. I am thrilled to be able to be in New Mexico for my kids to experience winter and Christmas the way I experienced it growing up. There is nothing that compares to the feeling of a "snow day" during the Christmas season. Carter and Chloe got one this year and had so much fun playing in the snow.
I think I just love the "feeling" associated with the Christmas Season.



3 comments:
i have had a hared time with Christmas since moving to Las Vegas. THank YOu for this poem- it helps!
I am glad we live where there is some snow fall and all 4 seasons. I am afraid if we ever break the seal on that jar the snowman will melt. It's a good think for canning that is air tight.
I love that poem, way cute!
Post a Comment