After spending weeks preparing for this 2 week Christmas adventure, we were finally on our way. We started out on the 19th of December and drove the 5 hour trip to Flagstaff, AZ. My mom lives in Flagstaff and is moving to Idaho...so we spent the morning of the 20th loading up the big Uhaul. (Happy Anniversary Matt!)
Moving at Christmas time seems to be a subconscious tradition that has begun to form in our family. I say subconscious, because who would consciously do this to themselves...let alone, their family. I know...it is bad timing and we told mom that she was done moving...she would have to die in her home in Idaho! Not literally, of course. Matt and I alone, have moved 5 times during this holiday in the 11 years we have been married. We also try to squeeze in an anniversary on the 20th of December amidst all the chaos. I am starting to wonder if we somehow, subconsciously enjoy chaos! We did seem to notice that there are other crazy people out there who were moving this holiday also.
We drove all day Saturday and stayed the night at some friends in Utah. We were up again early Sunday morning and drove the rest of the way to Idaho, with about 6 - 12 inches of snow to welcome us home. It reminded us of almost 5 years earlier when we woke up to 12 inches of snow the day we were moving mom out...interesting times.
Christmas was an experience. After traveling for 2 days, we spent the next 3 days cleaning, unpacking, making repairs where needed, decorating for Christmas and cleaning some more. It was nice for all 4 siblings to be at home with mom. We had some crazy emotions flying around, with dad's death being so recent and everything seeming to happen all at once. It was nice to be with family, but I hope that next time we get together, we can be a little more relaxed, emotionally stable, and have less work to do, so that we can really enjoy each other's company.
I am grateful for the feeling of a "White Christmas" this year. We had lots of snow and blizzards that we came across in traveling and while we were there. It brought a very cozy feeling.
After Christmas, my little family stayed another week to help my mom paint and get some more things organized and in order in her home. It was nice to be able to help her...she has a big job taking care of this home alone. She is a tough farm woman though, and can do it!
Looking back, I feel grateful for a chance to be together with family. I love my family dearly and appreciate who they are individually. I look forward to the next Christmas we can all be together...it seems like as we get older the years go by and time slips away faster than we can control. May we all be happy, healthy, and safe. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment