Friday, March 19, 2010

Frugal???

Here in Rio Rancho, we live a little bit out in the "boonies."  The nearest grocery store is about 12 minutes away.  (I know, there are worse situations in the world!)  This can be a bit of a burden when you run out of the little things and need to take a quick trip to the store. 

Just last week, the doors to a new Walgreen's opened, and it is only about 8 minutes away.  Hooray!  Well on our way home tonight we stopped in to grab some popcorn for "movie night" and I ran in really quick.  As I checked out a young man asked me if I would like a free newspaper and I declined.  He said, "Well you look like a frugal lady, don't you want the Sunday paper for the coupons?"  I smiled, took the paper and  declined a subscription to the newspaper.

As I walked out the Walgreen's door, I asked myself, "Should I take that as a compliment or an insult?"  I have been called "homely" before but I believe I was having one of my nicer looking days.  I mean, I was wearing mascara, clean clothes and I even fixed my hair this morning.  I don't believe I looked grungy, or like I needed to gather up the stray pennies off the ground...So....I have one question...

What does a "frugal lady" look like?  

...and there weren't any coupons in the FREE paper he gave me!....

4 comments:

Amy said...

Alice, you're BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure that man was just trying to use a sales tactic to get you to sign up.

Poppy said...

Thanks for the laugh...it was just a line!!

Julie said...

You make me laugh! I bet he was just buttering you up because you are one hot mama!

Jen V said...

Your friends are right - it is a sales pitch - he said the same thing to me the other day - and lady, even on my worst days I am not homely!!! Neither are you!