Tuesday, March 9, 2010

First Cub Scout Pack Meeting

Have I mentioned before that Carter loves Cub Scouts?  Well, he does and today was his 1st Cub Scout Pack Meeting since he joined Cub Scouts.  Well, technically the Pinewood Derby Race was his first, but that Pack Meeting is different in the event that they do not give out awards, at least they didn't last time.  So, here is Carter earning some of his first awards.  He had the priviledge of leading the Flag Ceremony, which he did a really great job.  He has always been a little bit shy in public, but as with so many other areas of his life, he is growing right up into a young man. 
(Stop it - I say!)
Look at this proud little man, calling in the Color Guard...to post the United States Flag.  What an awesome country we live in!  Aren't we proud to be Americans?  I am.
He earned his Bobcat Trail Award, a Gold Arrow Point, and the Marbles Belt Loop. 
Mom also received the Bobcat Pin, which Carter pinned on for me.  I told him later, that it is
tradition for him to give me a hug and a kiss afterword.  :)  I expect to receive all the benefits of
being a Cub Scout Mom!  :)  Can you believe how tall Carter is getting?  I know that I am short,
but it seems like I am only about a head taller than him! 
I grew up with scouting being a big part of our home.  My dad was a Scout Master for many
years while I was young and I went to many Pack Meetings and Courts of Honor.  I have two
brothers who both went all the way through the scouting program and both received their eagles. 
Then I married a wonderful man who had travelled all the way along the scouting road also, receiving
his eagle and many other awards, including his Wood Badge, which he will receive soon.  As I have
read the Wolf Cub Scout Handbook and begun a journey to help my boys travel this road, I have
really gained a greater understanding and testimony of the importance of the scouting program. 
It is an amazing program to develop these young boys into great men who will contribute a great deal
to the world around them.  I have seen it in my father, my brothers, my husband and now my oldest son.  Thank you to the great men and women involved in this wonderful program!

1 comment:

G'Lenn said...

How fun to see Carter pinning the pin on Alice. It makes a Mom feel so proud to have a wonderful son.....I remember those days....