Sunday, March 28, 2010

Homemade Maple Bars ~ Yummy!

Today, was one of those "You're the BEST Mom EVER!" Days, as the kids would say.  Those don't happen for me very often, because Matt makes more delightfully-edible food than I do...so it was a happy day for me!  I tried a new recipe from one of my great Visiting Teachers, Karen Ustach.  She is the forth-coming Martha Stewart, I do believe!  Anyway, I tried her Maple Bar Recipe with a little twist...and used fresh ground whole wheat in place of the white flour.  I must say, they were quite tasty and didn't last much past the next day!  (Of course, they were fried in oil, but we won't tell!)
Here is the recipe for those of you who "dare" to try!

Maple Bars by Karen Ustach


2 cups Warm Water
1 ½ Tbsp. Yeast

Dissolve yeast in water.

Then add:

¼ cup Sugar
3 Tbsp. Oil
2 Eggs
1 ½ tsp. Salt

Mix well and pour over 5 cups flour. (Alice used fresh ground whole wheat flour)

Mix well. The dough is very sticky. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or it can stay in the fridge for up to one week. Do not punch down until ready to use.

Heat oil (2 inches deep) in heavy saucepan. Spoon a golf ball size piece of dough onto floured surface and roll in flour to coat. Flatten with your fingers to about ¼ inch thick. Place in hot oil and fry until brown on both sides. If the oil is hot enough this should only take 20 -30 seconds. Remove from oil to paper towels (or cooling rack with paper under it). Frost when slightly warm.

For frosting mix powdered sugar, a bit of very soft or melted butter, maple flavor to taste and enough milk or cream to make spreading consistency.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: