Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day at Zio's

What a fun day Valentine's Day is. I didn't take any pictures because our camera is giving us problems...very sad day! I hope that someday very soon, we can get a new one and proceed on with our picture taking. It seems that all the real "picture moments" happen when the camera isn't working...oh well.

The kids were excited about Valentine's Day and were thrilled to get a little bag of treats. We spent much of the rest of the day picking up little wrappers. It always brings a happy feeling when simple treats bring a smile to the kids' faces.

Matt and I traded babysitting with some friends so that we could go out on a date. Our friends went out Friday night and we went out on Valentine's night. We knew they made the smarter choice when we were greeted with all the crowds waiting in line at the restaurants tonight...

We had about 4 hours to spend together and we spent the first 2 hours waiting to be seated...about 45 minutes eating, talking, and watching all the "young budding lovers" (wow, I came up with that all on my own!)sit close to each other with glazed over eyes, and then we called it a night and picked up our kids early.

Anyway, did you catch the part where I mentioned we waited 2 hours to be seated...well that was a long and funny story. Ok, maybe not so funny, it was definately a story though, and maybe one not really worth remembering, but here goes.

The just of it...we were told that there was a 1 hour 30 minute wait to be seated. We figured that we would waste time traveling from restaurant to restaurant and be told the same thing, so we decided to save ourselves the hassle and just take the buzzer. It had my lucky number 24 on it, so we felt like it would be a lucky night for us. Well, we stood against the same column in the doorway and made many new friends while waiting for the first hour. We saw many people come and go, being told the wait was 1 hr. 30 min., then 1 hr. 45 min. and finally 2 hours. There were some very funny looks on people's faces when they heard the news, yet some like us, still took their chances. We also saw the seating hostess arguing with many people about how they had been waiting forever and their buzzer never went off and they didn't hear their name being called. We felt sorry for the hostess and sorry for the guests waiting to eat. We just kept waiting for our turn to be called. After we waited 1 hour 30 minutes, I decided to go and see how many people were still ahead of us. The hostess said about 5 couples. We continued our wait and had a great time watching the wide range of couples and families coming to eat. Our favorite was the lady with a ruby-red flapper-type dress with a bleached blonde mullet with dark roots grown out. She had really red high heels and was taking this holiday VERY seriously. It was cute to watch her, with her husband and 2 kids. They were some of the first to argue with the hostess about their long wait. We felt like the husband was a little sturn, but like us, figured they were hungry and tired of waiting.

Well, since I am trying to give the Reader's Digest Version of this very long story...I will continue to the meat of the story. :) We saw many more people go to be seated. I finally told Matt it was his turn to go and ask about our waiting status. When he asked the hostess, she said that they had called our name a few times and we didn't respond so they skipped us. OK, this is where Alice steps up to set the record straight. (I know, "Watch out, here I come!") We had heard this excuse several times that night...mind you, because we were standing in the same place (5 feet from the hostess and directly in front of her)for the past 2 hours. I also have a buzzer in my hand that has not flashed a single light nor vibrated in my hand...some lucky number!!! Her manager came up and proceeds to tell us that they called our name...I boldly told her that they did NOT call our name because were standing right there...I point at the column holding our 2 hour leaning print. I also told her that some of the hostesses calling out names were so quiet that nobody could hear...so they needed to start speaking up if they wanted people to hear their names. Anyway, to make a long story longer...we were immediately seated. FINALLY! We should have been the squeaky wheel an hour ago! We couldn't believe that we had sat right there watching, all night, these things happen to other people, witnessing that the hostess was really struggling to seat the reservations and walk-ins...and then for it to happen to us also! She had to see us standing right there all night. Sometimes, you just wonder...

In case you were wondering...the meal was delicious and I will go again...just not on Valentine's Day! :)

Loved to spend time with Matt though. He is a wonderful husband, father and he definately is my best friend. Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

G'Lenn said...

Isn't it great watching people and sometimes I wonder who is watching me. By the way, where did you eat?

Alice said...

I forgot to mention that the restaurant was an Italian place called Zio's.

Rochelle said...

Way to go for being brave enough to stand up for yourselves! I would have just cried and walked away!

We opted to eat a Valentine's lunch. The parking lots were full... but we were seated right away! It was totally the way to go for us.

Your kids are so darling! You're right... our kids do have a lot in common. I laugh everytime you post anything about yours because they totally remind me of my own! If only we lived closer. We were thinking about Arizona for awhile, but my guess is we'll end up in Utah when we're done next year. We'll see... it changes every week!