Wednesday, February 11, 2009

San Francisco ~ Here I Come

Sometimes life has a way of really getting you down...That's when you need to take a vacation!

I have been in serious need of some alone...me...adult...quiet...thinking...figuring-out-life...personal...relaxing...remembering who I am...TIME, so Matt and my dear brother Kipp talked and arranged for me to go visit him in San Francisco, California.

No need to twist my arm!!! I flew out on Thursday February 5th and didn't fly home until February 10th. Yes ~ 6 Whole Days for myself!!! I was excited to go alone, thrilled to spend time with Kipp and Lance, nervous to leave Matt alone with the kids (he is a real trooper!!!), afraid for Matt's sanity, anxious to travel all alone on an airplane by myself for the first time, sad about leaving the kids for so long, worried about Josie since I had never been away from her ~ especially since I just weened her days prior to leaving, but most of all ecstatic to have some time to myself!

At first I wasn't sure I would be able to sleep (yes~all night long) in a bed all by myself without being woke up, kicked out, wet on, pushed to the edge, uncovered and needless to say squished by 4 kids and a husband. There is a reason we have a king size bed, although I have had thoughts that we should get a twin size bed soon...(I did say "A" twin bed. Matt and I could share one...we are not ready to have our own beds!)

Ok, without further delay, I need to get on with my absolutely wonderful VACATION!!!

So, Thursday finally arrived and with my ONE suitcase and ONE small purse in hand, I got on the airplane and soon arrived in California. (I wasn't sure I would survive not packing 5 other suitcases and a diaper bag this trip!...I survived!) These are the stairs to Kipp and Lance's 3 story home. They rent the main level and it is gorgeous. Lance is an interior architect and does beautiful work. They live in the same area as the "Painted Ladies". In case you aren't sure what they are I have included a picture and some information about them. One of the best known groups of "Painted Ladies" is the row of Victorian houses at 712–720 Steiner St., bordering Alamo Square Park, in San Francisco. This block appears very frequently in media and mass-market photographs of the city and its tourist attractions. It is sometimes known as "Postcard Row." The houses were built between 1892 and 1896 by developer Matthew Kavanaugh, who lived next door in the 1892 mansion at 722 Steiner St. These houses also appear in the opening credits of the television series Full House.

The following are some pictures of the inside of Kipp and Lance's home. I wish I could afford to pay Lance and Kipp to come decorate my home. :) So, on Friday I went to Kipp's ~ Maru Hair Salon in Berkeley, and spent the day meeting his clients and getting my own hair cut and styled. This was one of the best treats of visiting him. I have never found anyone who can cut and style my hair better than Kipp. Yes, he is my brother, but he definately is good at what he does. It is a real shame that I live so far away from him because I have to "settle" for someone else touching my hair. I must say that I still haven't found anyone I am truly satisfied with...ugh. Friday night we went to Downtown Oakland and visited the Awaken Cafe' where his friend Cleo Vilett was having an art show. It was fun visiting her art show and getting some inspiration of my own. The Art Show Theme was:
---------------------
Walking Oakland
Artist Statement

"This series was inspired from the many big and little “treats” I discovered as I walked around Oakland. Many of the views were happenstance, discoveries I found on a natural, daily path between my studio and the gym and back. The more I noticed, the more I chose to seek, and my path began to widen and radiate outward.

I soon found a momentum carrying the feel of the show in a direction of its own. The medium used in these pieces may weave a common thread through a variety of subjects, but they are all very much here as part of this place. Tying our outer boundary of the bay, and eventually the ocean, to such an urban environment may not have happened consciously, but I doubt it was an accident either. "
--------------------
We went to dinner at a place called Flora. The food was great and we ate way-too-much! http://floraoakland.com/

Saturday Kipp had to work so I spent a lot of the day with Lance. We had fun laughing as we scared a dog with screetching tires trying to back up the parked car after taking pictures of Lombard Street. http://www.sftravel.com/lomabardcrookedstreet.html We went to the top of Coit Tower, where Lance was given a nice compliment from a lady "listening-in" as he gave me a great tour of the view and history of San Francisco. I had already decided that I wanted him to take me everywhere because of all the information he has stored in his head. We then walked down China Town and felt a little overwhelmed because they were celebrating the Chinese New Year and there were lots and lots of people...everywhere! As we went back to the car, we were grateful for the kind people who were looking over our shoulders and offered help when the parking ticket machine swallowed up Lance's bus pass. We surely witnessed a miracle! :) We decided to go home and wait for Kipp while getting ready to go eat at...THE BEST MEXICAN RESTAURANT...EVER!!! I am serious! It was located in an industrial area of town and it was called Tres Agaves. http://www.tresagaves.com/ I will go back there someday and take Matt because it was mouthwatering. I am beginning to salivate as I type! I had carne asada tacos and I couldn't even eat them all. They were so tiny and cute. We also ate these delicious meatballs for an appetizer and the sauce was so good...we asked the waiter for a spoon. :) Again, we ate until we were stuffed; course we ate more than last night because our stomaches were stretched out from Flora. Anyway, Sunday we had brunch with some friends and Lance made a delicious breakfast casserole. (He promised me the recipe, so I need to remind him.) We then went to the California Academy of Science located at the Golden Gate Park and got to see them feed the cute little penguins. That was lots of fun. We had sandwiches for dinner...I mean linner. Then we relaxed while watching the Secret Life of Bees. (Very good movie!) We were interrupted with a power outage that lasted for quite a while...so Kipp and I played some games. It was a nice relaxing day.


These were cute little blue and red frogs called Bromeliad Frogs. They live in the rainforest and we thought they were very cute.This was a rope for the leaf carrying ants. They gathered the leaves from the top of the tree and carried them all the way down the rope and into their hole. At the bottom you could see the ants busy at work inside the dirt. It was really neat.

These are the cute little penguins that we watched during their feeding.
Monday morning Lance had to go to work, so Kipp took me shopping in the Big City. We went to Union Square and shopped until we dropped...literally. We had a big Korean Lunch and had to go back for gelato. It was fun spending the day with Kipp. I can't remember the last time he and I were alone together shopping.

Tuesday morning Kipp and I stopped at McDonald's for breakfast because it was our dad's birthday. Dad loved to take us McDonald's breakfasts when we were kids, so we thought we would honor him with a good pancake breakfast. I can't really say it was good, but it was tolerable and it was a good thought.

I got back on the plane to head for home and spent the rest of the day pondering my time with Kipp and Lance. It was a busy weekend, but somehow very relaxing at the same time. I am grateful for a brother and friend who are so thoughtful to entertain me for a weekend. I really enjoyed my time getting to know each of them better. They are great men and I love them dearly.
Thank you Kipp, Lance and Matt for taking the time to lighten my burdens! I love you all!!!

5 comments:

G'Lenn said...

Alice what a wonderful time you had. The way you told about each day made me feel like I was there also. I loved the pictures, especially the ones of Kipp & Lance's apartment. They are great guys to go visit...now when is my turn....

the5firds said...

HOW FUN! Next time can I come with you to Kipp and Lance's?? HI KIPP! Sounds like you got the much needed vacation; we just really need that sometimes! How did Matt and the kids do?

Alice said...

Mom ~ Your turn is whenever YOU decide to go...you don't need my permission! :)

Matt and the kids did survive! The whole house was even in one piece when I returned. Matt didn't think they would have lasted much longer without me...I think he would have been just fine. He is a great dad. Josie was the only one who didn't want to let me out of her sight for a couple days. :) I did get lots of hugs and kisses from the other kids though, so I felt like they were glad to have me back. I think the break was good for all of us.

amy said...

there's nothing better than a great vacation to appreciate home. and what amazing guides to a great city!

Shannon said...

WOW, how exciting for you Alice, to get away and have some alone time. I loved all your pictures and reading about what you did. Some of the pictures bring back memories of our trip to San Francisco with Madrigals:0) How fun! I'm glad that Matt and the kids survived all 6 days without you! Tell Kip hello!