Monday, February 23, 2009

Mom & Dad's Bed

When I was growing up, my bedroom was the closest to my parents. I liked it that way, because I would often wake up and feel afraid. As I would lay in my bed shivering, I knew I needed to get to my parents bed, but that would mean having to dart from my room, through the living room, small hallway, and into their bed, and who knows how many dark scary shadows between here and there. I would eventually reach the point that I couldn't be brave anymore, so I would make a run for it. I was always welcomed by a warm bed in between two warm parent's bodies. At last I would feel safe.

I knew that I wanted my kids to have the same security of "Mom & Dad's Bed" that I felt growing up. We received a king size bed from my parents when we were first married, and that seemed like plenty of bed for kids...and parents. Well, our kids do come into our bed often and we are grateful. However, we didn't know how small a king size bed really is. We have resorted to making one rule and one rule only for "Mom & Dad's Bed." That is...you have to start out the night in your own bed and then at any point during the night you can come get in our bed. This works nice, so that Matt and I can at least get a few hours of rest before our bodies have to kink and bend in order to fit all 6 of us.

Whatever makes our kids feel safe...we will make the sacrifice. We know that someday, that bed is going to be too big for us.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I agree with a king size bed being way too small!

Shannon said...

That is a way cute picture of the kids sleeping in your bed. I can relate with the whole bed thing. Hope you guys are doing well, have a great 4th of July!

Christina said...

What a sweet family. We've had kids in and out of our bed for years but recently I am finding none in our bed. It is a nice change and I'm enjoying it now but I loved sleep sharing in the good old days.:) I personally think love and security go a long ways so I'm sure they will remember your love and patience too!:)

amy said...

a california king works a lot better! i love sleeping with our kids. when ryan travels, the girls sleep with me, and sometimes they'll come in during the night as well. i love it. and i love hearing that other people love it too!