On the 2nd day of school, the 1st day riding the school bus, Carter and Chloe ventured off to school. We told Carter to keep an eye on Chloe and help her get to her class. The bus was 30 minutes late, as it was still figuring out all the details with how many kids and stops to make. This made the kids 30 minutes late for school. The day proceeded...
Later, I met the kids after school, at the bus stop, and Carter was almost in tears. He told me that he realized how much he loved his sister today, and began to recount the following story...
"Chloe and I were walking together into the halls and we found Roy (a friend in Carter's class who also rides the same bus) walking in the halls. Then Chloe and I were walking with Roy and Roy and I found our hall to go to our class. Chloe was walking down the hall and I told her to look through the glass windows in the halls. I don't know how many minutes later, but I was starting to feel sick because I was thinking Chloe was lost. I felt like Heavenly Father was telling me she was lost so I started to cry. And so I thought I should tell my teacher, just like daddy gave me a blessing that I would have the courage to tell the teachers what I needed to tell them. I got up and walked to my teacher, Mrs. Mahana, and I told her what was wrong. I started crying harder and harder, once I told her everything, she said "I will call your sister's teacher and see if she is there. What's her name and her teacher's name. You are such a great brother." She called Ms. Cox and asked if Chloe was there, which she was. Mrs. Mahana came to my desk and told me that she is there and she is safe and you don't have to worry about it anymore. She and Ms. Cox made arrangements that if Chloe didn't show up, Ms. Cox would call Mrs. Mahana and talk about it."
After Carter recounted his story, I asked Chloe what happened from her point of view. She said that after Carter and Roy went to their class, she started to walk down the hallway and then she stopped. She didn't know where she was so she started crying. (I can only imagine how that echoed in the hallways! She has a set of lungs!) She said that a lady came out of a classroom and asked her if she was lost and where her classroom was. Right then, she looked over and saw Mrs. McFall, the Education Assistant for Ms. Cox, and she answered pointing "Right There!" She went right into her class and started her day.
As these two sweet kids recounted their stories, there was a visible bond between them. I asked if they had discussed their stories together on the bus and they both agreed that they had. It was a tender moment for their mother.
Here is what I learned...
How grateful I am for Father's Blessings. Matt gave each of them a blessing tailored to their needs. Carter was blessed that he would have the courage to ask his teacher for help. He can be shy around new people and situations and I am grateful he did have the courage to tell the teacher his concerns.
How grateful I am for children who follow the promptings of the spirit and recognize answers to their prayers.
How grateful I am to see a special bond form between siblings.
How grateful I am for a loving Heavenly Father who watches over and protects each of His children, when sometimes those whom He has given earthly stewardship have no idea what is happening in the lives of their children.
These are the tender moments that make parenting worth all the efforts.



4 comments:
I love watching the bonds that our kids are forming and love knowing that they are there for each other. Thanks for sharing!
Ahhhhh...this made me cry. So tender!
That is a great story-- what sweet kids. How great they are learning to follow the Spirit so young-- they are going to do great things:)
I LOVE reading your blog. You and Matt are doing such a good job raising such solid kids in the Gospel. I am learning by your example how to be a better mom. Thank you!
P.S. I miss you!
Post a Comment