Sunday, October 4, 2009

Soccer

Back in May, we registered Carter and Chloe for AYSO soccer. Matt and I are both knowledgeable and experienced with most athletics, but when it comes to soccer, our knowledge and experience are very minimal...to say the least.

Well, by the time August rolled around, we started receiving phone calls to be coaches, referrees, and whatever else they could try and get us to be. We looked at our lives and what we had going on for the next several months and decided that we just couldn't squeeze anything else in. After declining for Chloe's team, the phone calls did not cease. Apparently they continued to get the same response from many other families. AYSO is a volunteer based program that relies solely on parent volunteers for everything. After continual pursuit, I agreed to be Chloe's coach. When I called back to confirm, they had thankfully found another volunteer for the coach. I was relieved. I offered to help out in other areas, where I could.

Two weeks before the first game arrived, the phone calls started again for Carter's team. They were desperate for a coach and would not take "no" for an answer. They told us that Carter would not have a team if they couldn't get someone to commit to be the coach. (I wondered why they didn't start this hot pursuit for a coach back in May when we paid our fees.) I told the lady that we had so many things going on that Matt would not physically be able to do it, but she would not let me off the phone without promising to ask him. I waited a couple days because I didn't even want to bother him with it...knowing it was my job to protect him and his schedule. Finally, I thought I should let him know because we needed to return the phone call. I explained all the requirements to him and then reminded him that he couldn't do it and I had already informed them. As I looked at him, I noticed a change in his expression. I asked him what he was thinking and he said he had to do it. I questioned him as to why and how. He then got a little emotional, as he often does, and told me that my dad was making him do it. My dad coached me in softball for many years, as well as my brother in baseball and sister in softball. My dad was very supportive when it came to supporting his children in their talents. I knew that Matt would enjoy this experience spending time with our children and he agreed that he would be going to the games anyway and might as well be their coach. Somehow, we knew we would have to make the time.

Matt may not know much about soccer, but he is very experienced in working with youth and knows much about leading and organizing a group. We both got to work putting in order the things necessary for coaching a soccer team. I became the team manager.
Here are some fun pictures of the kids playing soccer in their first few games. They are doing really well and we all seem to be learning the rules and fun involved in playing soccer. Chloe's first game kick off.
Chloe and Genevieve her teammate.
Chloe likes being near the ball. :)
Chloe scored a goal her first and second game. She was sooooo excited!!!
During half time, Chloe came and sat down by me and started crying. I thought she was hurt or something and asked her what was the matter. She said, "The lady bugs are winning!" I reassured her she was doing a fantastic job and that I was so proud of her. I told her we don't keep score and everyone wins! I felt such a great feeling of pride watching her play. I wished Chloe had more family there to see her play and then I realized how my dad was able to be there and watch her in spirit, every single game. At that moment I could even hear him yelling, "That's my girl!"

What an awesome sight to see her ambition and determination to kick that ball. She never seemed to get tired or complain about not wanting to play, she just kept on moving forward.
I think she has found a new love of the game. I love to look at that determined face!
This is her team of 4, and coaches. They play 3 on 3. They are the Princess Explorers! They are learning so much and improving with each game!
Mason always seems to find a way to amuse us and spend his time during the games...of course he faces the road as people are passing by. Maybe he thinks the tree is hiding him well enough. :)
Josie enjoys her snacks while supporting her siblings.I love this picture. Being out on the game field, I have remembered how much I love sports. I love the feeling of being part of team and working together to support each other and build strong bonds of friendship. I have remembered the "rush" and excitement of playing hard and doing your personal best. I have reflected on the many years I played softball, basketball, volleyball, a small stint of powderpuff football, and raced in track. I have great friends and memories from the experiences playing with those teams. It is a great feeling to exercise our bodies and see them do things we never imagined. I love those endorphins! Anyway, I loved to play each sport wearing the #24. It was lucky for me, at least I thought so back then. As I was admiring my kids uniforms, I realized that between each of them, they carried on my favorite number. There is an awesome feeling, watching your own flesh and blood, be a part of a team! Here is Carter warming up before his first game. He scored a goal this first game and he was so excited! As were we all!
These are pictures of Carter during his most recent game. His whole team has improved greatly! They played their first game without a practice because we seemed to be thrown together at the last minute. They play 5 on 5 and there are 7 kids on his team. Matt calls this team the "Bad News Bears" because they had a sad start, but they are turning their luck around quickly, and working well together!They even scored 2 goals this past game!I love seeing Carter's facial expressions!He had a couple fast breaks. After his first game, he came to me so enthusiastically and said, "Thank you mom for signing me up for soccer! I love it!"It is fun to see the boys get in and battle for the ball.Carter is working his fancy footwork. It is nice to see a smile on his face also. He is thoroughly enjoying himself. He told me that he wished he could play a game every day!I love this picture of Carter, he is really going in for the kill! :) His new friend Isaiah sticks his tongue out beside him as they run along side each other.Here are the "Cheetah's!"

There are 8 games this season and then they will play another 8 games during the spring season. It has been a very fun adventure...busy...but very fulfilling. Go Team!

Post 9/13/09

1 comment:

G'Lenn said...

Oh My goodness, Look at those fast kids. I can't believe Carter & Chloe, you are big enougth to be playing soccer. I can tell that you are having so much fun and learning a new sport. I wish I was close to watch your games and yell for you just like I did when your mommy played sports. Yeah!! Yeah!! Yippy! GO GO!!! Run....I love both of you very much.