Monday, March 9, 2009

Smashing Fingers

I was getting ready for a Relief Society Presidency Meeting early Monday morning. I had just sent Chloe out the door with a friend, who was going to take her to Preschool, and I was going to hop in the shower. I hear a door shut and Josie start screaming. Now this wasn't a completely unusual happening in our home.

There are always doors being shut and kids screaming...but for some reason I ventured out of the bathroom (and I won't mention in what immodest attire) to see what was the problem. I opened the door and Josie was holding her left pinky finger up at me in the air. I looked at it, and then looked again...because I was not looking at a finger. I wasn't sure how to describe it, but it came to me later that it looked like a piece of gum removed from your mouth. Long, skinny, flat, kind of curved, bumpy, and very red. As I tried my best to pull-myself-together...(mind you, I don't do well with kids, crying, blood and tramatic events all at the same time) I struggled to know what to do. My instincts were to scream, run and get some clothes on, (oh yeah, I wasn't going to reveal my immodest attire...) comfort her, scream, faint, call Matt (he is always the hero in these sort of events) and try and figure out what on earth was attached to her hand in the place of her finger. It was very disgusting and I could tell that it was extremely painful for my dear Josie.

We have had smasked fingers, but this was worse than anything I had ever seen. It wasn't even bleeding, but there were little red spots at the skin where it looked like her pores were bleeding. There was even some skin sort of hanging off the inside of her finger. As time went on, I realized what I needed to do and so I took action.

Matt ended up meeting me at Urgent Care where they X-rayed to see if there were any broken bones. It looked fine, but they were concerned about the tendons.
These pictures were taken later that morning after it had swollen up. It still looks nasty.

So...the good news is, it has all healed up minus the finger nail that fell off. We are waiting patiently for it to grow back.

Poor little Josie. Maybe someday, she will have the opportunity to smash one of her brother's fingers in the door. :)

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

OUch!!!! Poor little girl!!! Makes me sad...but glad she's okay!