Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Memaw & Grandpa Ward January 14th




Today we want to wish MEMAW and GRANDPA WARD a very Happy Birthday!

This is a special day for me to remember because it is such a neat birthday story. Over 55 years ago, my Grandpa Glenn Ward and his beautiful wife Melba Janice Ward were a happily married couple wishing for children. Unable to have a baby on their own, they sought out to adopt a child. They soon received a phone call from the doctor who let them know of a sweet little baby girl that was to be born. On Grandpa Glenn's birthday, a sweet little baby girl was born that they were able to adopt. They named her G'Lenn after her new daddy Glenn. What a sweet day this had to be for my grandparents, to finally have an infant to hold in their arms.

I know that my mom has always had a special place in her heart for her mother Melba, but I know that having the same birthday as her dad has really bonded them together.

I really miss my Grandpa Ward. He is a real hero to me. I wrote a special poem for him in High School that I treasure. It describes him perfectly the way I remember him. I want to share this poem for Him on His special day. He passed away in 1999 after having alzheimers for many years. This picture is one where we were dancing around in the kitchen. He didn't know who I was, but we were having a great time. I miss him greatly.

Gray Haired Hero

Grind, squeak, clank
I reach for a cracker.
Chicken in a Biscuit
Grandpa gives me a sip
of our favorite drink
Squirt
Heaven is our surroundings.
Wheat grinding around us
and Grandpa plays with
my ponytail. I wore it,
just for him
You are my "sugarbear"
You are my grandpa
His lap under me,
arms around me.
Safe.
Dust of grain I breathe.
"Poor old Kaliga," sings
through my ears
Sing it again grandpa.
Tunes repeated
The tractor stops
Whoosh~~~~
Grains pour
from the bin behind us
Empty into the truck beside.
All day it repeats.
Time flies
Smiles of satisfaction
Come ride with Grandpa
OK.
More fun than the beach
Dolls, tea parties and
rollerskating
A day on the tractor
He is my Grandpa.

I also want to wish my MOM a Happy Birthday. She is now 55 and hoping for a Senior Citizen Discount...:) She is a great example to me of what motherhood is all about. She is so selfless and truly giving to anyone in need. I know that she has had a good life, not free of sadness and trials, but her perspective is optimistic and genuinely sincere. I hope to one day achieve the same merit of motherhood that she has obtained. I admire her patience and unconditional love that she radiates. I love this silly picture of her because it shows her personality and the ability she has to make us all laugh. :)

Happy Birthday!!

1 comment:

G'Lenn said...

Thanks so much. I love you and you are a wonderful mother. I have always loved my name even though some people have had a hard time spelling or saying it. It was fun sharing my day with my Dad. I miss my parents very much. They were wonderful parents and they taught me many good things about life.