Monday, January 5, 2009

Alice

Up late in the evening...she starts one of ten loads of laundry, fills the kitchen sink with hot soapy water to clean the days worth of dishes and puts away the toys that cover the family room floor. Then she sweeps the floors and mops them on her knees with a rag because she says a regular mop doesn't work as good. Not to mention, garabage cans in three bathrooms and under the kitchen sink are filled with a days worth of changed diapers that has filled the air with an aroma that demands the scent of her favorite candle to be burned. All she wants is to lay in her bed for rest but knows that if she doesn't complete these tasks, tomorrow will be worse. When she finally completes the tasks, the sun quietly peaks above the horizon. A new day.

This has happened on more than one occasion in our home. Sometimes being a mother means that what you do goes unnoticed. Day in and day out, the same routine seems to be that of a "Gound Hog Day". Daily demands to be fed, cleansed, kissed and hugged are consistently requested. Giving up could easily be justified. But she doesn't. She isn't a quitter.

Alice is our earthly angel that keeps us going. She keeps our home together. We are all grateful to have her in our lives to be our mother and wife.

We wouldn't be able to make it without you. You are the greatest Alice!

We love you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok matt.

i was bawling reading this!

i love it.

Zonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zonnie said...

An Artist even in writing. I often think of Alice mopping her floor on her hands and knees as I am filled with guilt using a swiffer on our tiny apartment floor. Someday, I will clean like Alice, I tell myself. Probably not says reality. She is AMAZING!
(I had to fix a few type ohs)

Shannon said...

How sweet Matt, Love it!

CONAN said...

Matt, You are making us look bad, but I am glad to have found your blog!! We miss you guys! Any trips to AZ planned anytime soon?

Alice said...

Matt, you are too kind! You have given me way more than I deserve. I stayed up 1 or 2 nights and you make it seem like it is a weekly occurence...which it should be. :) Love you!