Saturday, June 25, 2011

Gooding Western Heritage Day

We had a fun-filled day in Gooding, Idaho celebrating the Western Heritage Days.  It was our first time ever and it was so much fun, we just might make it an annual affair.  We left bright and early that morning because I ran my first 5K.  As my fan club (Matt, kids, Mark and Memaw) and I all drove up to the beginning of the race, I began to get very nervous.  There were so few handfuls of people that I began to really be concerned I just might come in last place.  (Don't you love the vision I was creating for myself.)  Anyway, I knew that I just had to do my best and it would be good enough.  I had to run a race so that I had something to measure my future success by.  I have to admit that I started off really great and passed several people, then about halfway into it...I started to panic and had to slow down a little and talk myself through each step.  I did take a couple walking breaks, which helped me to get control of my thoughts.  I finally tuned in and focused on a couple people ahead of me to try to pass.  I was able to reach those goals and finish with a satisfactory time.  My goal was 32 minutes and I finished in 32:46, so I wasn't too disappointed with myself.  Now I at least have something to work towards improving.  It was a great feeling when I came around the last turn and saw my sweet little kids, husband and mother waiting to cheer me on.  Mason was the first to greet me and all the kids were so cute cheering on all the runners.  I am so glad that I didn't pass out.  :) 
This picture definitely makes me look like I am running in slow motion.  I have decided that I don't like pictures of me running because they kind of look....silly.  I am not a cute runner.  :)  I was really happy to know that I didn't come in last place and I am thankful there were many people walking.  It was a good self-esteem boost because I was more in the average placement than in the slow category.  I also realized some important areas of improvement.  Mentally training as well as physically.  "I think know I can, I know I can!"
After the race, there was a very short, but very nice parade.  They had a real cattle drive going down the main street. 
We trusted that these cowboys and cowgirls really knew what they were doing bringing all those very large horns right towards us.
They even  had a great little Mariachi Band.
There were all these cute little mini-horses pulling carriages that were driven by 4-H kids.  They had a competition later that day that was fun to watch.  Many of the 4-H kids were girls and they did an incredible job.
I don't think this was a mini-horse team, or a little 4-H kid, but he still did a fine job.
After the parade, we went to the park where the festivities would be held.  The kids rolled down the grassy hill and had a blast.
We listened to the Mariachi Band play for a while and it made me miss our trip to Mexico years ago.
They were getting fancy while playing their instruments.
We enjoyed a tasty, refreshing snow cone.  I think it was a first for our kids...they are so deprived to the luxuries in the world.
Then they took an opportunity to pet the mini-horses.  They are so cute!  (Yes, the kids are too!)
These are the great little drivers.  They were amazing!
There were several men cooking in their dutch ovens and handing out samples.  Very tasty!  They cooked all day long and we kept going back to taste whatever we could.  We all tried Deep Fried Oreos for the first time.  I think I could handle not having another one for a very long time...don't get me wrong, they were good, but there comes a point when you can consume too much...shall we say...fried grease?
The kids entertained themselves for a while on this little stage.  I'm not sure what they are performing, but they are doing a fine job.
Next came the kids activities.  They had roping contests.
Carter really got excited about learning to rope and did a mighty fine job.
The kids were so excited to participate in the Stick Horse Races.  Josie got all dressed up and then her bubble was burst after the rest of her siblings showed up and stole her thunder.  She was pretty upset after that and went off pouting.  At least we got a couple cute pictures of her.
Her dad was encouraging her with some funny faces.  She is quite the little rodeo queen.
Here comes Mason gearing up for an 8 second ride.
Proud as a pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving.
Here comes Chloe, strutting her stuff and looking for her red cowgirl hat...watch out Josie, here she comes.
Ride 'em cowboy!  Ride that reindeer!
The Red Hat has now been taken, then was tried to be returned, but all hopes were dashed...and here she stays for a time.
Ready to ride! 
They had the kids divided up by age groups.  Carter and Chloe rode against each other and Mason was in his own race.
Chloe was quite a good little barrel racer.
She practiced and practiced and practiced
for many days to follow.
Mason was so cute barrel racing as well.  He did it with a permanent smile.
Carter didn't care about presentation at all,
he just went out to win.
Although it shows he had some good moves.
Sweet little Josie...she is adorable when she pouts.
She is going to ride a blind-folded horse...
Chloe and Carter were so close in this race.
Then it was time for roping again.
She is a true cowgirl.  She loved everything about this day.  Before this day, she wanted to be a dentist.  Now she wants to be a dentist AND a cowgirl. 
Mason and Carter have both found a new love for roping!
Josie ~ She's back with a smile!
And the winners are...all these kids.  (Chloe was sorely disappointed!  She gave it her best shot and I think she just might beat Carter given another chance.  Watch out Carter!)  Carter won a gift certificate to a Western Store and Mason won a lariat.
These were all the contestants.  Good thing we came to contribute almost half of the contestants.
These were competitions with work horses doing the log pull. 
These are mini donkeys.  The driver calls out to each of them by name and they will go in the direction he tells them.  They were rather cute little donkeys and very talented. 

There was a little shady spot where we all layed down and rested for a while.  They also had cowboy poetry going on in one of the buildings.  It was such a nice and relaxing day.
Next we stayed for the cowboy working rodeo.  I must say, we really enjoyed it and it was the kids first rodeo.  Like I said earlier, they are quite deprived to the things of the world. 
The bucking broncos were highly entertaining.  One of the horses got his hoof caught in the gate while he was bucking.  There were a few tense moments until the cowboys gathered around and held him down while they released his hoof. 
Some fun pictures of the bucking broncos.
I liked this picture of all the cowboys lined up in a row.
I think his lips are mouthing, "Whoooooooaaaahhhhh!"
This was another fun race.  The cowboys left their saddles and boots in the middle of the arena.  They had to run from one end of the arena and put on their boots.  Then grab their saddle and run to their horse at the other end of the arena.  They saddled the horse and rode him all the way back to the other side of the arena.  Some of the horses bucked because the saddles weren't very tight and they didn't like the feeling.  It was really fun to watch.
My mom said that this cowboy is related to us somehow.  It is Chuck Turner's son.
After the rodeo, it was time to go home.  As we loaded up our exhausted-selves into the car, Chloe said, "I love Gooding!  I want to live here!"  It was a really great and fun-filled day.  We need more of these types of family days where we can just relax and enjoy each others company. 

No comments: