Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Week of School

School started August 18, and it is hard to believe that Carter is in 1st Grade this year. He just seems to be growing up WAY too fast! I keep telling all the kids that they need to stop growing because I can't stand it that they are getting big. Carter and Chloe just laugh at me and tell me that they can't "help it." Oh well...I try. :) Carter is going to the brand new school that they are currently trying to complete the last phase. It is called Cielo Azul Elementary School. Right now since it isn't 100 % complete, the Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades are going to the old school until October. They will move with their classes and teachers when the new school is complete.

Carter's teacher is Mrs. Hoban and she is really sweet. He is excited to be back in school, even though he enjoyed his summer break. He is also riding the bus to school this year, which he enjoys. I failed to get a picture of him at the bus stop.

Laughing because he is trying to hold back a smile.
Waiting outside his classroom to meet his teacher before school starts. Not sure what he is thinking to be making such a funny face.
As soon as we dropped Carter off at school, we drove to the Rio Rancho Public Schools Preschool. Chloe was very sad because she missed the Kindergarten deadline by 6 hours and 25 minutes. They would not let her slide by. Her birthday is September 1st and the cutoff is August 31st. So, amongst all the "negative" responses about the overcrowding at the preschool and the "long waiting lists" we were desperate to at least get her on the "list". We filled out all the paperwork about 11:00 and got out to the car to head for home. I told Chloe that maybe we should say a prayer so Heavenly Father would help her get into preschool. She offered a sweet and very sincere prayer that she could go to school. We went home and continued our day. Well, at 3:00, the Shining Stars Preschool called and Ms. Thacker said she had an opening in her afternoon class and wanted to see if Chloe was interested in being in her class. We jumped right back in the car and went back to the school to get her registered to start the next day, which was the preschool's 1st day of school. Chloe and I jumped for joy!!! We haven't been that excited for anything. So, she feels so big now that she gets to go to "school" and even ride the bus!!!
Her bus driver is really fun. He sings all kinds of fun songs with the handful of preschoolers that ride the bus. Chloe comes home singing some songs I have never heard of. It is the cutest when she starts chanting "Shave and a haircut...2 bits!" I am grateful there are good people who make a grand effort in creating a fun and safe environment for learning. Somedays, I want to hug the bus driver!

Oh, I must mention that it is quite nice to have a few afternoon hours with a quieter home. Mason doesn't talk much and Josie is quiet too, so I get a few deep breaths to gear me up for when they are all home after school. :)


3 comments:

The Ballard Family said...

Wow, Alice! How exciting it is to see what you guys have been up to all summer! Hooray for you, for getting all caught up. It always seems to take forever, but it is worth it when everything is all documented and you can look back over everything you've been doing and say..."no wonder I'm so tired..." :)
The kids are getting so big. You guys are such brave travelers. Best wishes for the school year! Can't wait to see more...enjoy the quiet time you are getting!
Mandy

Anonymous said...

the kids are SO big! i can't even believe that's carter!!

and that's SO crazy that sage + chloe will be in the SAME GRADE!
sage is in preschool too + will be in kindergarten next year!

i love it when you post pictures of the kiddos!

i hope you're enjoying your down time! i'm excited about having just emerson for a few hours a week! :)

xx
jill

Zonnie said...

That's great that they will both be able to ride the bus!! They both look so cute! How fun to be able to go to school!