It's that Cub Scout Time of year again...Pinewood Derby Races!
This year we are in a different troop, a different state, and a whole different race atmosphere. If you remember last year, we were on a Pinewood Derby Racer's Dream Racetrack. It was all computerized and decorated to the maximum. Well, this year is a little bit, well a whole-lot different. Here is the old wood track, I think it might be the same one my grandpa raced on a few years ago, propped up on the stage. It is held up by a 5 gallon bucket in the middle and I believe it was a brief case at the bottom.
Then there was a really fancy starting line-up with a ruler, I believe to "start your engines..." I hope he lifts that ruler level, just to make sure both cars enter the race at the exact same time and all. You know, for those derby die-hards. The suspense is just intense with these boys! Look at their faces...
They made bags of flavored popcorn just to keep all the participants and fans mouths busy. It was a really great idea. I was glad to have popcorn instead of resorting to my nails! The boys really made some creative looking cars, I loved the hotdog, and
I believe that is a yellow piece of cheese.
Carter's car is the blue hot-rod in the middle. His own design of course!
Now, it is time for the awards. I must preface by saying that they put a whole lot of emphasis on the Sportsmanship Award. There was a little trophy that they showed the boys in the beginning to get them all excited to cheer each other on. Well, as the awards were given, Carter received his award very last. He received the "Fastest Car" Award. Well, as we were leaving, he seemed disappointed. When I asked him why, he said that he really tried hard to encourage all the boys and be a good sport. I reassured him that he did a fabulous job of cheering on his friends. Then I reminded him, or had to explain to him, that he had won the "Fasted Car" Award which meant that he won 1st Place and literally had the fastest car there. I asked him how the other boys might have felt if he had won the "Fastest Car" and the "Sportsmanship" Trophy. As the reality made sense to him, he smiled and decided to be happy with his award. Later, I told his leader that he was disappointed in not getting the trophy. She laughed and was pleased to know that their scheme to distract the boys from the competative nature of the Derby Races, had literally worked.
Carter, you are a great kid! Congratulations on winning another round of Pinewood Derby Races!











No comments:
Post a Comment